I’m getting so excited for the release of Country Heat, I’ve been heating up the kitchen with some Southern flare!
Salmon is a great fish to have in your rotation because it’s heart healthy and packed with tons of vital nutrients for our bodies– especially bodies that are working hard every day during their workout! Salmon is known to be a heart healthy food because it is loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids– which work to decrease a number of cardiovascular problems, including: high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, heart arrhythmia, and high triglycerides in the blood. It’s also rich in vitamins A, D, B6, E and B– that give your body lots of healthy and natural energy. These skewers are easy to make and taste incredible– and who doesn’t love a little spice every once and a while?!
Spicy Cajun Salmon Skewers
Serving size: 2
Container Equivalents (per serving): 1 red + 1 tsp
What You Need:
2 [4 oz] wild-caught sockeye salmon fillets, boneless * skin on or off, depending on your preference- I left the skin on
1 1/2 teaspoons cajun or creole seasonings
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup Italian parsley, minced
2 teaspoons extra onhealthy diabetes virgin olive oil
1/8 teaspoon Himalayan salt
pinch of cayenne pepper *Optional
What You Do :
1. Preheat oven to 350°F + soak wooden skewers in warm water for about 10-15 minutes
2. Slice salmon filets into 8 equal pieces, and slice 1 lemon into thin 1/8 inch rings (see photos for example).
3. Take 2 wooden skewers, 4 pieces salmon and 4 lemon slices and alternate salmon and lemon slices onto the skewer.
4. Repeat step 3 with remaining salmon + lemon slices.
5. Squeeze juice of second lemon equally over the skewers.
6. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of XVOO on each skewer and season equally with cajun seasoning, black pepper, garlic powder, parsley, salt and cayenne.
7. Place skewers on baking rack (or directly on foil) and bake for 6-8 minutes on each side. You can also throw on a BBQ and cook for 3 minutes on each side.
Note: I made this into a complete meal by adding some wild black rice & roasted green beans w/almonds. Container Equivalents for the entire meal below are: 1 Red / 1 Yellow / 1 Green + 1/2 blue
Your partner in health,