Being that my career is in fitness, I tend to live in my activewear and I don’t think Im the only one. I tend to buy activewear that has a higher price point because I wear it so much. I need the fabric & quality to be great so it will last more than just a few wear and washes. No matter how good the quality, if you don’t take care of your activewear and wash it properly it won’t last as long. Since we live in activewear as everyday wear, there may be some things about washing it that you don’t know. Sports bra and leggings are made of a cotton/poly/spandex/nylon blend and need to be treated differently than jeans and tshirts.
All sports bras and leggings have labels printed on the inside of them, you just have to take a quick peek. Don’t make the mistake of thinking everything gets tossed into hot water.
Here’s how to keep those pricey Lulu’s in tact and for a long time. This is why one of the reasons its important to follow the rule of COLD water for not just colors, but for certain fabrics as well!
1. RELAX & READ! Did you know that 90% of the activewear market’s care instruction label say “Wash Cold”? Ever wonder why when you wash them in hot water, they seem loose and those “pilling” balls show up? You know those fuzzy balls that form in the knees or crotch area? That is the heat! Cold water relaxes the fibers– so just RELAX and wash it on COLD!
2. AVOID SOFTENERS. Poly/Nylon/Spandex fabrics already are soft, so adding softener to your wash or your DRYER is another HUGE mistake that a lot of people make. The chemical in softeners forms a waxy coating on the garment, thats what gives you the softness– guess what else it does? It locks in odor. YUK! Did you ever wonder why no matter how many times you’ve washed a certain sports bra, it still smells like you just got out of an hour of hot yoga? Yep! Stink is stuck!
3. WHEN IN DOUBT, AIR IT OUT. Most activewear will say TUMBLE DRY LOW. I say, if you have any doubt, let it air dry and then tumble dry low to get the wrinkles out quickly!
Low Heat will not be as damaging as high heat.
4. HEY! PRINT(CESS). If you own activewear with beautiful prints or bright colors, wash them inside out! This really should be a rule for all clothing that you want to maintain the color & integrity of the fabric! It should be a no brainer, but I have a few friends (that will remain unmentioned- lol) that are confused that one leg is faded than the other!
5. GERMAPHOBE. Germaphobes should really LIVE in activewear. Did you know that the fabric content in 90% of leggings or compression tights are antimicrobial? Yep, your moisture-wicking fabric already keeps you dry when you are dripping in sweat, but at the fiber level, they are also soaked in an antimicrobial solution. This prevents bacteria from living or growing on the surface! Pretty cool, right?
Just remember to always read the labels, they are printed on your clothing for a reason. This helps you save money, keep your clothing in tact, and gives you a peace of mind.