Contributing Editor: Vivian Nweze
Can’t remember the last time you worked out? Are your sneakers collecting dust? Does the gym feel like a figment of your imagination? We’ve all been there. Life gets busy. One day of procrastination turns into a week…and then a month.
Sometimes we need a break.
When your break lasts longer than it should, your results will start to disappear. Physical fitness is ongoing. It’s a lifestyle. That’s why we’ve come up with 15 tips to kickstart your fitness comeback!
- Create visual reminders around your home. (Ex: placing your sneakers by your front door).
- Make it easy to not back out. (Example: going to sleep in your workout outfit)
- Make plans to go with a friend or family member for accountability.
- Do it early on the day. You’re the most energized in the morning and you can start your day feeling accomplished for finishing a workout.
- Start smaller than where you left off. If you were running 5 miles a day, maybe start back at 2 or 3 miles.
- Stretch! Moves that were easy may be a little creaky from lack of motion.
- Sign up for something like a 5k race, to give you a goal and timeline to work with.
- Remember your “Why”. Do you want to be able to play outside with your kids? Lower your blood sugar? Why are you working out in the first place.
- Try using mantras and affirmations to encourage you on days you feel the urge to procrastinate.
- Drink a lot of water!
- Try something new and exciting. If you get tired of pilates, maybe try boxing? Need some time away from weights? Autumn’s Country Heat could be a fun change!
- Time efficiency! It’s easy to put off a one hour workout, but where is your excuse for a 20 minute one?
- Meal prep. The more disciplined you are around your health as a whole, the easier it is to have it squarely on your activity levels.
- Give yourself a prize (non food related) for completing a workout or a week of workouts. Incentives help.
- Join a challenge! You can start one with co-workers, friends, or family. Healthy competition is a great motivator. Autumn occasionally runs DietBet challenges with her #TeamAC fam.
If you need more encouragement, check out @AutumnCalabrese instagram for more nuggets of wisdom and motivation!